How to use Elestrin
Patient Instructions for Use
Elestrin comes in a pump that is designed to deliver the amount of estrogen that patients have been prescribed.
You can use the step-by-step instructions and diagrams below to remind your patients how to apply Elestrin.
For more complete instructions, please refer to Patient Information in the Full Prescribing Information including BOXED WARNING.
1.Remove the cap.
2.Activate the pump.
- Unlock the pump by turning the spout on top of the bottle a quarter turn to the left or the right.
3.Prime the pump (get the pump ready) before using the pump for the first time.
- Push the head of the pump down slowly and allow it to spring back automatically. Repeat this until gel comes out. Throw away the first amount of gel as it will not be a full dose. Once the pump head has come all the way back up, the pump is now primed and ready to use. Throw away the unused gel by placing it in the trash to avoid another person or a pet from accidental contact with the gel or eating or drinking it.
- After priming, the pump is ready to use.
- One complete pump depression will dispense the same amount of ELESTRIN each time. After each daily dose, return the spout to the locked position and replace the cap before you put it away.
4a.Dry skin completely before applying ELESTRIN.
- You should apply your daily dose of gel to clean, dry, unbroken skin. If you take a bath or shower or use a sauna, apply ELESTRIN after your bath, shower, or sauna. If you go swimming, try to leave as much time as possible, at least 2 hours, between applying your ELESTRIN dose and going into the water.
4b.Apply ELESTRIN at the same time each day.
- To apply the dose, hold the pump with the tip facing the application area of the arm. For each pump depression needed, press the pump firmly and fully with a continuous motion without hesitation.
4c.Gently spread the gel using only 2 fingers.
- Spread and gently rub in the gel over the entire area of your upper arm and shoulder area, as illustrated.
5.Wash your hands with soap and water.